Here is the issue: A Lot of people are going to great lengths to ensure that there is no mold in their homes. Now alone, that is a good thing, but there is a problem. Not every inspector is going to be able to correctly identify mold and within that, what kinds of mold may be dangerous.
Although mold has become a bit of a hot topic in home sales, much of this is based on extreme cases. Mold does present a problem, especially when given ideal conditions in which to flourish. That is a moist, humid,and dark area where there is an organic material for it to grown on. Without these conditions, mold cannot grow.
However, there is another problem with mold and that is, it’s extremely easy to misidentify mold. In fact many times that mold is found in a home it is in fact mildew. This is another naturally occurring growth that is in no way harmful. What is harmful to humans are a few different types of organically occurring mold such as Mucor, Chaetomium and particularity Stachybotrys. When you hear stories of mold drastically affecting someone’s health it is usually this last form of mold that is being referred to.
Typically the only way to remove a growing mold is to remove the nutrient source that it is growing on. That is, the wood (usually). Mold grows best on wood that has been exposed to high levels of moisture and humidity. In an average home this would happen in an area affected by a structural imperfection or after a flood. There are chemical ways of cleaning mold from these surfaces but if you want to be 100% certain it might be a good idea to replace the piece of wood or surface if at all possible.
Keep in mind that everyone’s sensitivity to mold will be different. However, it is safe to assume that people with Asthma, delicate immune systems or allergies will have greater sensitivity to molds. One of the main problems with mold is the fact that is grows unseen in places that its impossible to see such as inside walls, inside sub-floors, in attics and basements.
The main thing to be watchful for is areas where the moisture level is high. If you suspect there is mold in your home, be sure to get a certified mold expert in the take a look.
Regardless of what you may think it is, it’s important to get a proper inspection done by a professional that knows what to look for.