If you are going to spend money advertising your vacation rental property on vacation rental websites, you want to make sure it is a success. Here are 6 things you can practice which will help ensure you receive the most “bang for the buck.”
Tips For Vacation Properties
1. Set Rental Rates Appropriately – If you want your vacation property to rent, you must be realistic, optimistic, but not greedy! Set realistic rental rates for your property and ensure that the rates are correct on the site(s) your listing is on and regularly reviewed as the market changes. Search for comparable properties (“comps”) in the same location as yours. Only charge a premium if your property has some distinct features.
2. Check EMail Regularly – When using an internet vacation rental property website, remember your users. They are typically Internet “savvy” and probably check their emails frequently… especially if they have requested some info. Also, be sure your phone number is listed on sites that allow you to as sometimes people choose to just call you directly, so be sure to check phone messages.
3. Respond Immediately – Vacation goers usually see a few properties that are of interest to them and then contact those owners. The faster you respond, the better chance (most of the time) you have of winning them over. A timely and efficient response gives the renter confidence that the rental experience will follow suit.
4. Accurate and Complete Listings – Be sure that your listing details are kept up to date and are complete. Review your online listing frequently to be sure that your contact information is up-to-date. Also, be sure that it is accurate on the description of your property and its amenities. This will help you with repeat customers, but will also keep you out of trouble with rental contracts or laws in regards to such things.
5. Great Photos – It is true what they say, “a picture speaks a thousand words”. Remember, renters, are considering staying at your rental based (most of the time) solely on your pictures and your word. The more pictures to help them be comfortable with the decision, the better. If you were going to buy a used car, would you do so over the Internet without a good look at the outside/inside of the vehicle, the engine, etc? Not exactly the same, but you get the picture. The more pictures and the prettier, the better. Be sure to have pictures of your rental amenities such as a pool, the beach, a mountain view, the lake or a golf course – these are top vacation rental sellers!
6. Boost Your Exposure – There are many “hot spots” for vacationers throughout the world. In areas that are more popular, boost your exposure by getting to the top of your site’s search engine. If it costs you $20, $50, even $100 to do so but that gets you one extra rental a year, that makes it more than worth it.
Vacation rental properties can make you good money if you play your cards correctly. Be diligent when it comes to selecting the location of the rental and know the area that you will be in.